not all who wander are lost.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Beasts of the Southern Wild



Because I spend most of my year out of the country and away from a TV, and then come home only to have no free time to hit the movies or catch up on sitcoms....I'm a bit behind. So forgive me if I'm rambling about something that ya'll are familiar with. Has everyone seen "BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD"? Because if you haven't, you must --- not now, right now. The story is about Hushpuppy and her Daddy (Wink) - and it is the most poetic summation of life.



 "In one of the critical encounters in Hushpuppy's valiant evolution into a victorious personality, she must confront in her mind's eye the beasts of the southern wild — the prehistoric aurochs. She calls them the "strong animals" and observes that weak hearts make them hungry. So when they come, she faces them with her strong heart and befriends them. This bold and tender action proves her fearlessness in the face of whatever shows up in her life." --No matter what comes our way, if we approach it with a strong heart we can persevere.

Sometimes you just have to rebel yell....

 Hushpuppy: Everybody loses the thing that made them. It's even how it's supposed to be in nature. 



Hushpuppy ends the movie with the following quote......

"When it all goes quiet behind my eyes, I see everything that made me lying around in invisible pieces. When I look too hard, it goes away. And when it all goes quiet, I see they are right here. I see that I'm a little piece in a big, big universe. And that makes things right."

This movie brought a lot of peace to the sadness that's been lingering lately. We live we, we die, we rejoin the cycle and circle of existence. In the end, we are a little piece in a big, big universe....and that makes things right. 

Wink: My only purpose in life is to teach her how to make it. 

Thanks Dad...for teaching me how to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment