not all who wander are lost.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Patnem: Working and Living in Paradise

I have taught two yoga classes at the shala at the end of the street. It is breathtakingly beautiful -- right on a rocky cove, looking out to the sea, with the sound of the waves lapping against the wall. For the first time ever I am enjoying teaching classes *without music* because it's simply unnecessary. You get 300rs for the first person that comes, 600 if two come, and 1,000 if 3 or more come. Because its the slow season and theres not really more than 3 or 4 to a class, the Laguna Vista isn't making much of a profit -- but during the high season when the shala is full, they make great money. After class there is hot masala chai waiting for the teacher and the students in the beautiful outdoor lounge area. While sipping chai with one of my students, Larissa, the other day - massage came up. She says, "Oye! Massage? Are you free to give one tomorrow?". Now, I hadn't planned to work while traveling, but I agreed - because it had been a while since I'd done any body work, and simply put, Larissa is a super kind person and saying 'no' to her just didn't feel right. As I was leaving after a great class, a delicious chai, some wonderful conversation and now some work under my belt - the owners of Laguna asked if I could play music at the restaurant that night! Boom. So I played some tunes for my supper - enjoying some of their delectable (and a bit out-of-my-budget) food, sipped a beer, and hung out with my friends....

As I was walking home from yoga yesterday with my guitar slung over my shoulder, I heard a whistle come from inside a restaurant. You'll hear lots of whistles as a young, foreign female in this country - so I continued walking. I heard the whistle again, and then an "OYE!". I turned and a gentleman shouted "What kind of instrument is THAT that you've got?!". Well, I ended up sitting down and playing a few tunes with this Brit, and he treated me to an icey cold beverage in return. The restaurant that he runs has been dead - all day, every day, so when he told me that the jam later that night was the "happening" thing in town, I thought that he was full of shit. As the day went on I read my book, enjoyed some beach time with Jess and Mabon, taught a sunset Yin class, had a bite to eat - and then figured that it wouldn't hurt to do a walk-by of the "happenin' music night". Well, don't ya know it - the place had a few people in it....and as the night when on the restaurant continued to fill up, with guitar player after guitar player joining in - each better than the one before. The level of talent in that little shit bar here in India blew my mind, and continues to as a re-live it typing this blog. Seriously mind-blowing talent. Despite having been up since 4:45am, I sipped hot tea, hot tea, and more hot tea - and played music til 1:30 in the morning!!!! I'm struggling now with whether or not to leave - because last night I was "booked" for a few gigs a week if I wanted them....some are paid, some are free food and drinks, and some are both. I'm unsure of what to do - because they also need a yoga instructor at Laguna for atleast one class a day. With India being so cheap I could surely be making enough to sustain a good time here -- but for some odd reason, the ice-cold silent-meditation center Tushita in Dharamsala is calling my name. I have a flight tomorrow afternoon, and I really think that I won't be making any firm decision until right before I have to call the taxi. It's nice to be in the sunshine, around fun people, making music and doing yoga. But India was dedicated to my spiritual growth, and though the training that I did was intense and the exact opposite of "lounging and playing" like I'm doing now, I felt myself get deeper into who I am as a human being than I ever would sitting on the beach in paradise. The Dilemma: SELF LOVE vs SELF DEVELOPMENT.....

Going to have breakfast now at the local Chai Shop with Jessica, then some self-practice yoga this afternoon, and some music tonight with my new friends....working and living in Paradise aint so bad....

No comments:

Post a Comment