not all who wander are lost.

Monday, November 5, 2012

Full Days.


Whenever I'm away I usually manage to post even if I'm having an amazing time, because lets face it - you cant have amazing, outstanding fun all.day.long...right? There's usually a break sometime in the day where I unwind for a bit by writing a short blog. Well, this trip has not allowed me any down time. It has been jam-packed with running around visiting all of my favorite people, doing yoga, cooking, eating, beaching, playing, drinking...everything.

Saturday morning I hit up a super early hot yoga class and then met Breezie and Rachael for coffee @ Java Hut in Encinitas. We hung out and sipped coffee for three hours. These are my two most favorite ladies on the West Coast so three hours barely touched the surface of all that we had to catch up on.



Brie had some stuff to attend to, so Rach and I continued our date on the beach in Cardiff and even jumped in the water for a bit (which was surprisingly warmer than expected). Later that evening we all had dinner at Liz and Larry's house (where my mom and I are staying). I put out a spread, made two cocktails (a Gin + Basil Gimlet and Sangria), and cooked us up some dinner. It was great to have Jak with us also, Breezies boyfriend, because he's a spectacular human being (and was only back from the ocean for ONE night after 10 days away, and prepping for another 10 day trip).




Gim and Basil Gimlet (or Spritzer) with Meyer Lemons
  • 6 Meyer Lemons, juiced
  • Pre-bought unsweetened Lime Juice (about 1 cup)
  • 1 lime sliced (as garnish)
  • Gin
  • Sparkling Water or Club Soda (optional: this is if you want a lighter more refreshing "spritz")
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup sugar
Make the simple syrup by combining a huge handful of basil with the water and sugar and cooking over a medium heat for a while. Remove basil. Add the simple syrup to the lime juice and juice of the meyer lemons. Chop a bunch of basil and add to the pitcher (reserve a few leaves for garnish). Two shots of gin plus one ladle-full of the lime/basil syrup concoction and you're good to go. If you want to make the drink last, and for it to be a bit lighter, add some club soda. This cocktail is deeeelicious.
  • Big bunch of basil



After dinner we headed to Zenbu to dance for a bit and then made our way to a house party where the dance party continued into the wee-hours of morning. Funny enough, I ran into Mark Richards and Kevin DeFeo, childhood friends from Ocean City, at the party. It was a blast to reconnect with them and to share the dance floor after not having seen them for over 10 years. Insanity. Walked home to Edinburg Ave, went to bed late and woke up too early, and then met up with my Mom for some coffee. Rachael, Kira, Mom and I sat down at Cardiff and soaked up some sun and enjoyed the brisk ocean for a bit before saying our goodbyes.



Straight from the beach, to Grays house for one of his world famous smoothies, and then to Del Mar for a twisting workshop with my darling Lauren Duke. The class was a bit emotional for me, I was "weeping" throughout the class, but it was nice to get rid of some of the sadness I've been holding onto. I met up with Gray after class and we fell right into our old routine, a sunset walk up to the dog park with Marble. Back to the house to cook a feast for friends (Gray invited everyone to his house so I could see all of my friends, thank you thank you Gray!) and a feast it was! A dozen awesome people, a ton of great food, and a little bit of wine, dancing and foot massages. Boom. I love my West Coast family. Again, stayed up too late and talked so much - but it still seemed too little.



Woke up this morning, excited for the day and looking forward to our morning appointment at the Korean Spa. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment