not all who wander are lost.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sadness, Happiness and Espresso.

Osho says that in order to enjoy the good, you must also endure the bad- and the one helps you appreciate the other. 

"Experience life in all possible ways --
good-bad, bitter-sweet, dark-light,
summer-winter. Experience all the dualities.Don't be afraid of experience, because the more experience you have, the more mature you become."
― Osho

So despite all of the negative right now, I'm trying to focus on the positive. I am in love with the restaurant, Gia Pronto, that's in the Perelman Cancer Center (currently we are across the street at the hospital, but it's well worth the walk). It has deeeeelicious, decently-priced (considering that we are in a hospital) food. They also have epic coffee. Just when I thought that I knew all there was to know about coffee, I've discovered a new way to enjoy espresso-- the Cortado. I get a double...it's espresso with a bit of steamed milk and a *touch* of froth. It hits the spot and wakes me up without making me jittery, and is creamy but doesn't fill me up. So as I sit here in sadness, watching my Dad in-and-out of sleep- I sip in a bit of happiness with my cortado in hand. Finding the balance. We are here for two more days as hospice (along with the help of our good friends Joe King and Billy Herr) prepare the house for our arrival home. I'm sure that we will be having lots of visitors once we are home, and I'll be sure to have espresso and milk close by to have handcrafted cortados for all our friends....


"Sadness gives depth. Happiness gives height. Sadness gives roots. Happiness gives branches. Happiness is like a tree going into the sky, and sadness is like the roots going down into the womb of the earth. Both are needed, and the higher a tree goes, the deeper it goes, simultaneously. The bigger the tree, the bigger will be its roots. In fact, it is always in proportion. That's its balance."
― OshoEveryday Osho: 365 Daily Meditations for the Here and Now

The roman catholic priest just came in and gave dad his final rights. I was surprised that I remembered The Lords Prayer (I'm a CCD dropout), and on that note I need to remedy these tears with some of my beloved caffeine.

The Lords Prayer:
Our Father, Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.




1 comment: