not all who wander are lost.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Wanderers Brekky.


I might not be in South America, or Central America, or in Asia...but I've been maintaining my morning meals from abroad. Whether its a Quinoa + Egg scramble and kale, or some Mediterranean CousCous with raisins, almonds and hardboiled eggs...I begin most mornings with eggs (fried, poached, scrambled or hard-boiled) and a grain (rice, cous cous, quinoa). There's usually an avocado involved, and sometimes some kind of bean or legume...oh yes, and always Sriracha hot sauce [which reminds me of the homemade 'sambal' everything is served with in Indonesia]. I eat most meals with a tablespoon and a fork, using the fork to push the food onto the spoon - the proper Asian way. Food has always been one of my favorite aspects of travel, and coming home later and recreating the dishes I've had is always a ton of fun. Though my Dad sits next to me and says "ew" every five seconds as I'm eating my creations from overseas, I enjoy every bite. *My dad is a meat + potatoes kinda guy, who only eats bacon and eggs for breakfast, or make some pancakes. Anywho, this mornings creation was a Central American/Asian bowl of goodness. In the fridge I had: 

1/4 Onion, diced
1/4 Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced
               **sautee in a skillet

Rice (just a small handful, I prefer the mix to be mostly veg + bean)
1/2 cup Beans (today I had Kidney beans)
A handful of Corn 
Fresh cilantro
            **throw into the skillet after the veggies have cooked for a bit

Then I season it with a bit of garlic, salt, pepper, and Sriracha. I serve some finely sliced cabbage alongside [that I tossed with a touch of lime juice] for some clean, crisp crunch.

Finish it off with a perfectly fried egg on top, and extra Sriracha hot sauce too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment