not all who wander are lost.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Infinite Tomorrows.


Man sacrifices his health in order to make money. He then sacrifices his money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived. -- the Dalai Lama


No matter where you are from - your language, your religion...whatever corner of the world you reside in - we all have one thing in common. We are all dying. From the day we are born we are dying. Death is actually our ONLY guarantee in life. Marriage, children, careers, wealth....none of this is a guarantee. So why is it that we live our days as if there are infinite tomorrows? This is one good thing that has come out of my Dad being ill - it's given me an appreciation for life that I'd had before, but it has been intensified ten-fold. I try to bring awareness into everything that I do - from the mundane (eating breakfast) to the regular (yoga practice); from my awareness, presence and enthusiasm in my friendships and my work. Just last week a family friend Wes popped over the house to drop off scallops and to check in on my Dad. 42 years old - a hard worker, casual drinker, drug-free all around great guy. The other day, he died. Death is spontaneous like that...with some (like my Dad) they are given an idea that it's approaching. Others know that with their old age is their approaching end. But then - there are people like Wes. Walking and talking and loving and laughing one day, and then gone the next. Why is it then that we don't savor each day...? Just some food for thought.

After the funeral I took my Dad out to breakfast- because that's what we do best. We had a bunch of laughs, and some serious tear-shedding conversations. God bless my Dad for sharing his life and his wisdom with us all. As he says "Well, we're all dying if you think about it. But that's why you just make each day great". Wes, thank you for shining your love on everyone around you...you'll be missed.



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment