not all who wander are lost.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cauliflower Soup for a Rainy Day.

The only reason I tolerate rainy days is because I have a great music library and because it gives me an excuse to cook up new recipes. I have been obsessed with cauliflower lately and have been having a blast in the kitchen as I find out new ways to enjoy it. I had a bowl of roasted cauliflower soup last week at Steve + Cookies which was the inspiration for my own creation. I walked around the kitchen and filled my arms with whatever we had around.

  • 3/4 of a head of Cauliflower
  • 2 random potatoes
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 can of Cannelini (white) beans
  • Pinot Grigio
  • Dried Sage, Thyme and Rosemary (unfortunately no fresh herbs...)

I ALWAYS have "Better Than Bouillon" vegetable stock concentrate in my fridge...it is the best thing that you'll get if you aren't using a homemade stock. I still don't know much about cooking with wine, but I figured that it was too early to have a glass of wine (not to mention that I still have one more class to teach later today) but if I had to open it for cooking that I could at least enjoy a few sips....

One soup pot. Drizzle some olive oil in the bottom. Toss in 2 cloves of garlic, diced onion, diced cauliflower, and peeled + diced potatoes. Salt and pepper. Let it sautee in the pot for a bit and then add the dried herbs. After about 20minutes of sauteeing I add in a generous pour of white wine (1/2 cup? 1 cup?). I let that cook down for about 10 minutes over medium heat before adding a heaping tablespoon of the vegetable broth concentrate and adding water (so that it just covered what was in the pot). I let this cook over medium heat for awhile longer until everything in the pot was tender. Puree in batches using a food processor then return to the burner to simmer *this is an important step because it allows all the flavors to marry.

This is dairy-free, gluten free, vegan friendly and it is goddamn delicious. I gotta say, I'm pretty damn good in the kitchen.....

1. Sauteeing the diced ingredients

2. Adding stock to sauteed ingredients and letting simmer

3. Puree in batches and return to stovetop

4. Enjoy (preferably with the leftover wine that you used to cook with...)

No comments:

Post a Comment