not all who wander are lost.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Yoga of Heart.

I had a difficult time falling asleep last night, and have been awake since about 3am this morning. We are in Kansas City, a few miles from the Missouri border. Things with Marny aren't as I had thought they'd be, but I'd made the mistake of heading into something with expectations. Expectations to have a situation identical to what we had in Indonesia for those few magical weeks, over 5 months ago. But, I'm not the same person today as I was then. "Life" has happened over these past months, and inevitably I have grown and evolved throughout these experiences, as we tend to do (and should continue to do). I feel like I'm coming into the person that I should be. I feel stronger as an individual- more aware of what I want and don't want, who I am, and what's important. I feel more ready to accept the notion that some things are still a mystery, and to feel confident despite this lack of certainty about certain things.

Just as yoga found me when I was ready, so has Mark Whitwells book, "YOGA OF HEART". I ordered it a while back, and have tried to pick it up a few times but could never quite get into it. Well, apparently I just wasn't ready. Yesterday, I was ready. All of this time on the road, in the passenger seat, with no distractions has given me lots of time to thinks. Miles upon miles to ponder. And now this book-- I'm drinking it up like a tall glass of water on a hot day. I was first introduced to Mark Whitwell a few years back at a yoga conference in Delaware. Laura Warfs classes and workshops LITERALLY changed my life-- they are what inspired me to become devoted to my yoga practice, and to share this passion with others by becoming a teacher. Warf has studied extensively with New Zealand-born Whitwell, and it's under his influence that she's formed her practice. Whitwell is a student of TKV Desikachar, son of Krishnamacharya. I could ramble on and on about how this book has already had a deep impact on myself and my view of "yoga" - but I'll save those rambles for my upcoming yoga classes- and I encourage you, whether you are a yogi or not, to pick up and enjoy this magnificent, compassionate and easy to digest book about God, Truth, Self and...Yoga.

"yoga is the mere participation in the wonder of Life as it is already perfectly Given."

No comments:

Post a Comment