not all who wander are lost.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Smokey + Spicy Bean Soup


When I got home from teaching yoga this morning I had a craving for chili!! I usually make my moms recipe for chili, with lots of beans and ground venison. As labor-less as her recipe is, I didn't even have the energy for that. So I whipped together a soup-like-chili that literally took me about 3 minutes to make.


SO EASY. SO DELICIOUS. OH-SO-NUTRITIOUS:
SMOKEY AND SPICY BEAN SOUP

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 1 can of chick peas
  • 1 can of kidney beans
  • 1 large tomato
  • 1 medium sized yellow onion
  • tomato paste
  • 1.5 cups of vegetable broth (or chicken broth if youd like)
  • dry spices: smoked paprika, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper
  • sriracha and hot sauce (optional)
Open the cans of beans and put in colander...rinse, rinse, rinse. In a deep pan sautee diced onion and diced tomato in a bit of olive oil. When the onions have begun to carmelize (just 2 minutes in the pan) throw in your beans. Squeeze in about 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Pour in vegetable broth, and season with a fair sprinkling of all of the dry spices. *Note: if you don't have smoked paprika in your pantry, then you should invest in some right away. It adds a depth to whatever youre making...a smokey, earthy flavor with a bit of bite. Now, I love spicy - so I add in about 2 teaspoons of sriracha chili paste along with a few shakes of smoked hot sauce.

Want to make this even BETTER!? Add some sliced avocado. Boom.

While I was sitting and enjoying this at the kitchen table I thought "Damn, I'm going to make a hell of a wife some day!". Is that politically correct? A bit old-fashioned to think, I know, but everybody wants to marry a chef don't they...?!? Hahaha, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment