not all who wander are lost.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Slice-Free Spectacular Sauce


OMG OMG OMG OMG.

SPECTACULAR SAUCE SHOULD NOT BE THIS EASY....


Well, the doctor told my Dad that even though he's exhausted that he must exercise. My mom has been cracking the whip, and for exercise he walks around our garden....one or two laps. I went outside yesterday to keep him company (and to make sure he actually walked his laps) and I was surprised by the abundance of tomatoes that were out there! I guess that this rain we have been plagued with has encouraged their growth. So, while Dad walked - I picked. And picked. And picked. Our large tomatoes are finally NOT rotting, which is nice. Our cherry tomatoes are more glorious and tasty than ever, and the plum tomatoes - though not the best for slicing and eating raw, are in full bloom. Overwhelmed with plum tomatoes, I knew that I wouldn't even be able to GIVE this many away. I loved the idea of making sauce but I figured that it would be an intense full day affair - and I just don't have the stamina for that at the moment. Unsure of my plan of attack, I just left the bin of tomatoes on the kitchen table and vowed to give them my attention when I got back from surfing. Dad accompanied me to the beach - he sat in his chair and napped while I tried out surfing for the first time since my injury happened, nearly two months ago. The surf was shit, but I was surprised to find that I didn't lose my smooth touch. I came back up to retrieve Dad and of course, he was surrounded by his posse of boyfriends. Billy Herr, LP and Jules. Jules is a good friend of ours from Philly. He's quite the character - always with a funny story and ALWAYS with a huge smile. I told him about all of my tomatoes (he's a great chef) and he says in his cute little accent, "OHAMYGOD!! I makea da best saaaaawwwce!" So, this was what jules told me to do - I did it, it took 2 minutes, and its the best goddamn sauce that I've ever had....


SLICE-FREE SPECTACULAR PASTA SAUCE:

Ingredients:

Plum Tomatoes (I had about 15 of em)

EVOO (about a 1/4 cup)

3 cloves of garlic

Onion (1/4 of an onion)

Salt and Pepper

Fresh Basil

In a pot I poured the olive oil and then grated my 3 cloves of garlic on the zester. I had the burner on a med-low heat and let it simmer while I washed my tomatoes. Then, I squeezed em. Yep, that's it. No slicing. Place the plum tomato in your hand and squeeze. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper, and then put a quarter of an onion in the pot -- this will absorb all of the acid from the tomatoes (no heartburn!), and then you discard it at the end. I'm letting this sauce simmer all afternoon, because why not!? To finish it off I'm going to tear from fresh basil into the sauce and then put it in the food processor for a hot second, just give it a few shots to smooth it out (but not TOO much, I like some chunks in my sauce).

This sauce is spectacular, inexpensive, in-season (therefore delicious and CHEAP)...and you have no excuse for buying a canned sauce from the supermarket. Thanks to Juliano for offering me up this slice-free, easy-peezy sauce recipe! ENJOY


No comments:

Post a Comment