Savory Salad with Quick Pickle Onions
- spinach or mixed greens. NO romaine, no hearty lettuce. If you want this salad to work it's simply spinach or mixed greens, no substitutions
- one can of pitted black olives, cut in half
- one can of chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 or 3 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- generous handful of grated pecorino Romano cheese
- several cranks of fresh ground pepper and a mild sprinkle of salt
- Quick Pickle Onions
QUICK PICKLE ONIONS:
- *1/2 cup water
- *1/2 cup white wine
- *1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves of garlic, whole (not diced)
- A few cranks of black pepper
- 2 spoonfuls of sugar, or agave.
Slice two small onions, or one large onion into thin half moons. Place in pot with the ingredients above and bring to a boil for a minute. Then put on medium heat and let cook for an additional ten minutes.
Scoop out the onions and place on salad. Because they are pickled, there flavor is mild- so don't be alarmed by the quantity of them on the salad. For the dressing you'll drizzle the salad with EVOO and use the vinegar/water/wine concoction as well. *be sure to discard bay lead and garlic cloves.