not all who wander are lost.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

No Show Solo Session

This morning I woke up super tired and groggy. I sipped on a cup of tea and chatted with my Dad before I left to teach (I leave the house around 6:25am). As soon as I got in the car, I don't know if it was the random radio HipHop blaring through the speakers, or if it was my Earl Grey kicking in, but I was WIDE AWAKE...jazzed and ready to go! My inspiration for class went from restorative to fluid & flowy. Once I arrived at 41st Street the weather only further encouraged my peppy mood. There were no waves - just a glassy ocean as far as the eye could see, with the sound of little ripples breaking on the shoreline. The beach was empty, only a few early morning people strolling the sands. The sun was bright and hot, but the cool southwest breeze was fresh and energizing. Basically today was an ideal day - the weather, waves and conditions that you hope you have for every class! Well, everyones Tuesday morning must have been busy today because no one showed. Instead of being bummed, I made the most of it. I took that positive, peppy energy that was inside and let it do it's thing on the map. I flowed through a few traditional Surya Namaskara A's and B's before flowing a bit - ending with some beautiful, heart opening backbends, a long savasana, alternative nostril breathing and then a nice meditation. The sun was warming my cheeks and I left the beach radiating...with heaps of gratitude. For an empty class, it was a full practice.

NOW: though I enjoyed this lovely morning to myself, a girl has gotta eat {and save $$ for travel adventures}, so I'm attempting to rally more people for beach yoga. I hear from so many people that I invite to join the following excuses:

  • "But I'm not flexible!" : That's the point of yoga, to help you become flexible. Most people in class, men especially, cannot even reach their toes -- but it's about the JOURNEY not the DESTIATION. So come along for a journey with us!
  • "I would, but I've never done yoga before!" : I teach with variations: meaning that there is a version 1, 2, and 3 given for each posture. If you're a beginner do version 1...advanced, do level 3. My class is designed for ALL LEVELS, and I am fully aware that it is only 7 oclock in the morning -- that our bodies are tight and that this is the first bit of physical movement we are doing. It may take you two or three classes, but after that you will know exactly what each pose is called and how to find yourself there.
  • "I'm intimidated." : I understand. The first time I went to practice yoga took me 3 months of mental preparation to go - and after exhausting every number in my phone book in an attempt to have a 'buddy' go with me, I just threw my hands up and went solo. Well, two minutes into the class I thought that I'd really been missing out - I should have come to do this sooner! Don't be intimidated - the class is all levels, and it's choc' full of amazing human beings that don't judge or critique.
  • "I've only done yoga a few times, I'm not really sure what I'm doing." : It's like riding a bike. Once you get it, you'll never forget. I teach at a slow, easy to understand pace. And if you still have any questions - I'm happy to answer.
  • "But, isn't it going to be super difficult??" : The class is only as difficult as you make it. Move at your own pace and honor your body.
  • "I'm going to look like an idiot." : Nobody's watching you!!
  • "I don't like sand. I don't think beach yoga is for me". : If you don't like sand - then yes, I suppose that beach yoga isn't for you. You're bound to get a bit of sand on you, but it's nothing that I little brush of the hand won't be able to fix.
SO, for all of you out there who want to try but just need an encouraging hand - I'm going to be teaching an "Intro to Yoga" class. For $20 you get a 1 1/2-hour "introduction to yoga" class, along with a free yoga mat, yoga block, strap and information pamphlet for you to keep! For convenience and flexibilities sake I'm going to hold this class on two separate dates:

* SATURDAY June 25th 7am to 8:30am
and
*SATURDAY July 9th 7am to 8:30am

Pre-registration is requested but not required.
contact: cailin.callahan@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment