not all who wander are lost.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Happiness lies in Simplicity.

*a picture of my parents headed into the produce market. it's simple excursions like this that make being home enjoyable*

...and so it is, and here I am. Once i get back from my months of travel, Everyone always asks, "God-- aren't you so depressed to be back??". And they are always surprised by my response, "Nope." Being home (for 4 short months!) is as satisfying to me as the months I spend abroad. They may not be as exciting or adventure-filled, but they are fulfilling none-the-less. It's the simple things that really make me happy and bring a smile to my face. I always look forward to being back in a kitchen, MY kitchen. I love having all of my spices at hand, a fridge full of healthy fruits and vegetables, a pantry full of grains and legumes, and cast iron pans (the only thing I know how to cook with!). Having moved back home is even better, because my parents eat with the same morals, passion, and ingredients that I do! Another bonus to being home is my bed. My own bed, in my own room. It's not infested with bed bugs, there's no random backpacker snoring beside me, and my belongings aren't shoved into a small corner in a shared room! I can listen to my music as loud as I want, whenever I want. I can turn the lights on if I want to read, and turn them off when I'm ready to sleep. It's brilliant! When I woke up this morning, I laid in bed for a good 20 minutes just smiling. It's so quiet here where my parents live. The breeze was blowing through my open windows, and all I could hear was the birds chirping and the faint sound of my ceiling fan. The air is perfectly warm- not stifling hot or freezing cold. I love that I can walk downstairs, turn on the faucet, and drink water straight from the tap! No bottled water! I can make myself tea and coffee throughout the day and mid-afternoon I enjoy a little siesta on my parents comfortable couch in the cool living room. Then, theres DRIVING. I actually dont enjoy driving at all, but I do love the Freedom that it offers. I don't need to bum a ride, catch a bus, or suffer through a long walk. If I want to go somewhere, I simply get in the car and go. Better yet is being able to rock out. Driving with the windows down and the music loud is a form of meditation for me. On today's trip to the produce market I spun Kings of Leon: Aha Shake Heartbreak, The White Stripes: Elephant, and Joe Purdy: Julie Blue. And best of all- family. After months of email and Skype, I finally get to see them for Real! Coffee in the mornings, lunch in the afternoons...fishing and dinners and meals at Mikes Seafood. Life is good year round- no matter where on the globe I happen to be- even if it's in the town I grew up in. Now the only thing missing is Marny and Julisa....

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree with you more about being home. You know the saying Home, Sweet Home? It's a beautiful poem by John Payne. This post reminds me of my favorite line...

    How sweet 'tis to sit 'neath a fond father's smile,
    And the caress of a mother to soothe and beguile!
    Let others delight mid new pleasures to roam,
    But give me, oh, give me, the pleasures of home.

    Welcome home :)

    ReplyDelete