not all who wander are lost.

Friday, March 18, 2011

And just like that...

As Forrest Gump said, "...and just like that, the rain stopped."

Halle-fuckin-lujah! Just as I was approaching insanity the hard downpour turned into a drizzle and the sun began to make it's way out from behind the clouds. Vang Vieng is actually quite beautiful when you are able to look around instead of looking at your feet- trying to dodge man-eating puddles. We had a relaxing afternoon just cruising around town. We had a full "comfort" day, trying to shake the bad mood and get back to our happy selves. We watched twilight, ate pizza and drank beer. In the evening we had cheeseburgers and french fries, and played endless rounds of Shithead. I managed to book myself a 3 day rock climbing course. No one else has enrolled, so for $150 I have 3 days of one on one instruction, along with lunch and equipment. No "rock wall" here, just the real deal from mother nature. But still, even after a semi-rain-free-day, I don't really like Laos. And neither does Linda. She put it right when we were chatting this evening before bed...

"Cailin, I just don't understand. Everyone is so excited about Laos-- but I hate it. I feel guilty, like I'm doing something wrong... But im trying, and I just don't like it."

Linda, I fully agree. Keeping our chins up though and despite our situation we will have a good time. Tonight we opted out of the party - instead we relaxed in the room, talking about everything from love to farts. So much of a place isn't where you are but who you're with. Im thankful to have Linda with me here in Laos...im quite sure I'd be sad and lonesome without her!

No comments:

Post a Comment