not all who wander are lost.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

YURT.

This is a traditional Mongolian Yurt. Similar to the North American Medicine Wheel or Navajo Hogan, the door opens to the South, and the sacred space is North, opposite the door.


I want a Yurt.

Yep, you heard me, a Yurt.





It breaks my heart to tell you, but my beloved Yoga Swami's YURT in Encinitas has been dismantled. It apparently didn't meet the building "code", so they ruined it. This was a holy place as far as I'm concerned. When you walked in, you felt something special pulse through your whole body. A sacred place, a safe place, to practice your devotion through yoga, surrounded by a spectacular group of people. Well, this morning when my parents and I were having coffee my mom was talking to my dad about his recovery - and how they needed to get back on track. The temptations of the Holidays were more than any of us could resist - completely indulging in the pleasures of food and drink. My mom told my father that starting soon they were going to start doing Tai Chi again, and nice light stretching...eat well, live well. Then she said, "We need a Yurt!" My eyes lit up, I couldn't agree more!!! Afterall, my dad has a HUGE garage to play in...we needed something for us! I have tried to stick with a daily practice of yoga and meditation, but it is so difficult! Our home has very little 'free space' in it - and though meditation and yoga is more about where you are mentally as opposed to physically - well, it is simply much easier clear your mind in a wide open space. So now, I'm pushing for a Yurt...to practice yoga, tai chi, and meditation - in our back yard. Right next to my Dad's garage. For those of you who have never experienced the simplicity and beauty of a Yurt, well - I promise to invite you over once I have Mine!
Yoga Swami's Yurt: no more :(
A bit about YURTS:

A yurt (üi or kiz üi in Kazakh, ger in Mongolian) is a portable, felt-covered, wood lattice-framed dwelling structure traditionally used by nomads in the steppes of Central Asia. A yurt is more home-like than a tent in shape and build, with thicker walls.

Some yurts are used for living.
Yurts for YOU and ME:

One of the most interesting recent innovations is the exceptionally portable camping or backyard yurt, developed by GoYurt Shelters and Rainier Yurts. These yurts come with a ground cloth and can be put up by two people in about an hour. GoYurt Shelters has an additional focus on sustainable materials like FSC certfied wood, natural canvas and non-toxic finishes.

Fabric yurts work especially well for modern nomads and people in transition. Typical of nomadic shelters, they use minimal materials and are light on the land, combining environmental sustainability with a high degree of comfort. Building the wooden deck takes carpentry skills and a week or two to complete, but putting up the yurt itself takes less than a day, or two days for a 30' yurt.


After some research, this website really seems to have it all:

www.yurtinfo.org

No comments:

Post a Comment