not all who wander are lost.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

indian.inspired.zucchini




I had some zucchini and summer squash that needed to be cooked. I peaked around my fridge and found some chickpeas. Hmmm...chickpeas and zucchini - I had some onion and decided that I was in the mood for something Indian-esque. SO, this is what I concocted and damn was it delicious.

You need...

  • 1 large onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 2 zucchini
  • 1/2 can of chickpeas {or more!}
  • olive oil
  • ground ginger
  • ground turmeric
  • mustard seeds
  • salt + pepper
(if you'd like, you can add diced tomatoes...but im not a huge fan of cooked tomatoes!)


the toasted mustard seeds give this dish a hint of ZING!

Here's how it's done...

Medium heat on the skillet - one tablespoon of mustard seeds into the hot pan and put a lid on top. They are going to pop and toast, and after you hear em go crazy in the skillet pour in a bit of olive oil. Slice up the onion however you'd like {slices, diced, whatever!}, throw them into the pan to sautee along with the diced clove of garlic. Season with one generous teaspoon of turmeric and one generous teaspoon of ground ginger, a tad bit of salt and pepper. Cook for a minute of two before adding in cubed zucchini. Maybe add a touch more of salt and pepper, and after about 8 minutes of cooking add in the chickpeas. I had some Masala seasoning laying around, so I threw in about a teapsoon of that to add some vavavoom. And BOOM - there you go. Lunch, dinner or snack of champions!


No comments:

Post a Comment