not all who wander are lost.

Friday, September 11, 2009

The Flood.


When we moved into our apartment on the corner of 10th and Simpson, we were told that it's flooded once or twice. Not too bad. When we moved into our apartment on the corner of 10th and Simpson, and our landlord didn't ask for a security deposit, first or last months rent, and we didn't have to sign a lease...well, let's just say that we had the revelation that maybe it's flooded more than once or twice...and maybe more major than minor. As the tide began to rise, water filled the street, creeping it's way over our lawn and towards the front door. We crossed our fingers and decided that as long as it didn't rain that we would be okay. A few minutes later the skies opened up and the rain came down - in buckets. I headed to work, crossing my fingers that when I returned that it would be to a dry apartment. I barely escaped a water-soaked Strathmere, only to arrive in Ocean City that was bad and getting worse. I parked halfway up onto the curb, away from the spots that are prone to flooding. The apartment was dry, but I had a feeling in my gut that it wasn't for long. I had an awful sleep, tossing and turning - waiting for the water to arrive. Sure enough, I stepped out of bed at 5am, placing my feet down onto the bedroom floor - and into a bunch of water. Poor Maude was just staring at me, shivering...her bed was saturated and she hadn't shit in more than a day {she refuses to go out in the rain}. Within 15 minutes of waking up, our bedroom filled with more water, and after a half hour had passed the rest of the house began to fill up. First the hallway, then the bathroom, then moving into the kitchen/living room {how appropriate that my living room is in the kitchen!}. I put on my rain boots and made a mad dash for my car, that was soon to be submerged under water. The water was too deep around my car, so I drove down the sidewalk, over 2 flowerbeds {I'm sorry neighbors!!!} and down the block to a spot that was a tad more shallow. There wasn't really any way out - so I tried to find the best, most shallow road out of town. I only made it 8 blocks before my car started to smoke, shake and shutter. I called Shawn, frantic and crying - demanding that he come rescue me. I parked my car on "high ground" at the nursing home on 19th, Shawn scooped me up, and with Maude in tow we headed to my parents house - a dry, safe haven.

I slept for a bit once we arrived at my parents -- sleeping off the "trauma" of it all...hahaha. We had burgers for lunch, I showed Dad some new yoga moves and now I'm getting ready for work. Mildred's is bound to be underwater, so I'm crossing my fingers that my boss will call and tell me not to come in. Otherwise, it looks like I'll be needing a boat to get to work - ready to serve the hungry masses, unafraid of trekking through rivers to get their beloved Crab Imperial and homemade spaggheti....

2 comments:

  1. so how much water did the apt. get in all? is your car screwed or what? how much water did you drive thru? sorry to hear that.. was the surf any good during all of this mess

    ReplyDelete