not all who wander are lost.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Audience Etiquette

photo by Sharon Stabley.

Today I'm performing at Coffee Comedy (on JFK Blvd) in Sea Isle City. I'm so excited because it's an all originals show {only a few covers}. I wrote some new songs during my winter in Costa Rica which I am super excited to share with everyone. Coffee Comedy is a great set-up: awesome acoustics, intimate, and it's just the right space for the amount of people I bring in. After some amazing shows this past year, and some not-so-amazing, I realized that some people just have no idea about "audience etiquette". The songs that I write are either directly about me, or something/someone/some situation that I hold close to my heart. Intimate thoughts and feelings that I've composed into a song to share with you. So while I'm singing my heart out and someone's texting or someone's chatting with their neighbor, you can't help but to hurt the performers feelings. It shows that you either a) don't care, or b) i suck. So I strolled the world wide web for some good guidelines and here is what I came across:

  • Being a great audience member requires respect—respect for the artist/presenter, other patrons and yourself.
  • The success of a presentation or performance depends in part on the audience members...YOU!
  • When you help create a supportive and focused atmosphere, you help create the best experience possible for everyone involved.
  • One of the most basic elements of being a great audience member and one of the most important skills any one can learn is listening.
  • Remember, everything you do and say has an affect on a live performance. When you are watching a live presentation or performance, the people on stage can hear and see you.
  • Please avoid activities that will distract from the presentation or performance. Help those on stage give the presentation or performance that you deserve by not talking during the presentation.
  • Please turn off all cell phones. It is rude to send text messages or talk on your cell phone during a performance.
  • If you enjoyed yourself, please feel free to applaud at the end of the presentation or performance to show your appreciation, unless otherwise requested by the artists.
  • If you see or hear something during the presentation that you especially like, let a member of the staff know after the presentation or performance. They appreciate your comments.
  • Keep in mind, each live presentation or performance is an entirely unique experience. What you are participating in will never occur the same way twice.
  • Above all, enjoy yourself!


  • 1 comment:

    1. Dear Cailin:
      You Know da rules down here at Soda Mary, we give you one warning for talkin da first time, next is da machete, don't be talkin when my gal is sangin, hear dat? Pura Vida from CR, Luv Y'alls,
      Lagarto

      ReplyDelete