not all who wander are lost.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Vietnamese, Sunshine, Yelling Children and Hail.

What a day, what a day.

We arrived in Philly and ate some Vietnamese...I had an iced coffee {sweetened condensed milk with fresh vietnamese coffee over ice}, hot tea, Pho {vietnamese soup: its broth, usually some kind of meat, and noodles served with sprouts, lime slices, jalapenos and basil on the side. mmm good}, and a Green Papaya salad with Beef Jerky. Afterwards stopped by DiBruno's for some of their fabulous goat cheese encrusted with whole peppercorns, a good parmesean reggiano block, and some rosemary crustini's. Shawn had some stuff to do for work, so I bopped around the city to shop. Well, I bopped, but I didn't shop. Everything in the stores right now is crap. Crap, EXPENSIVE crap. I went to my favorite stores Anthropologie and H&M, and out of desperation went into Urban Outfitter's and Gap. Everything was poorly made, overly priced, and ugly. Resurgance of the 80's? Um, no thank you. After my failed shopping attempts, I met back up with Shawn and his friend Tim's house. Tim and his wife Liz are badass. Liz is a potter (see the blog that I will post in the next five minutes) and Tim is a professor, architect, builder, intelligent extrodinaire! They have two beautiful, talented, fabulous, funny kids (and that's saying something, because I don't really like kids) Jack Peter and Steele. They live in an eco-friendly building that Tim designed and constructed, and they eat good food and drink good wine. We snacked for a bit, sipped some wine, and Shawn chef'ed it up and made some Red Curry for dinner. At 5pm I walked Maude around the town. We soaked up sunshine, enjoyed the 70 degree weather, and Maude sniffed...not finding any place suitable to relieve herself. By 6pm it got crazy windy, and at 615pm it was hailing. Serious hail. Big hail - turning into a sideways, gusting rain mixed with hail. Interesting..... After all the screaming kids left (some neighborhood children were over...all under 4 years old), we relaxed in their cozy living room and played some music. I didn't know until last night, but Tim is also a kick-ass guitar player. We talked about life and travels and food and music.

Woke up this morning, had coffee with Shawnie, and then he headed to school to teach to youth and I headed home for a doctor's appointment. Yoga'ed it up, ate some mango and drank some tea when I got home, and now I'm about to pack up and head to my parent's house. Pheasant for dinner! MmMm!

I'm going to end on this note...though children and cute, and cuddly...they also come with snot and tears. Though children are clever, they are also coniving. Though it's my dream to have a small army of children one day, that day will not be ANY day soon. So in the meantime, I will just visit Jack Peter and Steele at Liz and Tim's, and Fiona at Jill's. I will hug them, love them, and play with them - and then hand them back.

No comments:

Post a Comment