not all who wander are lost.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Nomadic Gypsy back in the NorthEast

Me and Margarita

So, I'm home. I think I'm sad about it, but I'm not quite sure. I had the most EPIC trip thus far in my life, so I'd feel bad if I complained about being home...because during my time in Costa Rica, there was not ONE day that wasn't phenomenal (even when I was dying of the plague). Epic. I don't really know how else to explain the trip. And to top it off, my last night in Costa Rica goes into the record books as one of the TOP FIVE nights of my life. Everything about my last evening was magical. After a big final breakfast at Margarita's Pat, Shawn and I packed up the car and headed an hour north to Atena's, where Ozzie's mother (and Oz) live. Atena's is amazing. Breathtaking. Views like nothing I've ever seen before. It is surrounded by mountains and coffee plantations, and the air is so crisp and clean you can taste it. Making it even more amazing is the house where Mama Lee lives. Just amazing...with an arboretum which is attached to the kitchen. Bah. Only an hour South of San Jose, and an hour North of Esterillos...the climate is vastly different. Cool, refreshing.

The Whole Crew: Pat, Brett, Erin, Chad, Adam, Maria, Shawn, Me, Ozzie, Mama Lee, Mama's boyfriend, and legend Mike

Anyways, Oz showed us around Atena's for the afternoon and then by the time we got back the WHOLE esterillos crew started to arrive!! Mama made up some Arroz con Pollo, steamed veggies, a big salad, empanadas, pasta and sliced mangoes (mango season is kicking there...the most delicious mangoes you have ever tasted!!). I drank a ton of wine, and the boys were putting a hurtin on the beer. We ate, and danced, and talked, and cried, and hugged and laughed. UH - I'm so blessed. After Esterillos left: Oz, Me, Shawnie, Pablo and Todd headed out for a night on the town in Atenas. We ended up at a Rodeo..well, a huge arena of people sitting around riding a mechanical bull. I had much too much to drink to even CONSIDER walking down to ride the bull, but Oz and Shawn felt up to the challenge. Shawn's gringo ass was thrown to the mat within SECONDS. Ozzie I believe lasted about 15 or so seconds before biting the dust. Tall men just aren't meant for bullriding I guess. After that we packed up and took and taxi home. The last 24 hours of my 3 month stay in Costa Rica was epic, spent with people whom I love dearly, and am glad to consider family. I know that they will certainly be in my life for years to come.

Ozzie riding the bull.

Silly drunk, post-mountainside-dinner, post-impromptu-williamsburg yuppie-dance-party, post-bull-riding waiting for a cab. Ozwald and Me.


SO, I'm back home now. After a long flight and an even longer time navigating my 10 foot boardbag through the airport and the air-tran, I'm back in Jers. It's too cold for my liking, but atleast the sun is shining and there is hope for warmer days real soon. Waves in the next two days too which is both exciting and heartbreaking: exciting because they will be good and clean, and heartbreaking because it will be fucking freezing, with water in the 30's and air in the 40's-50's. BAH.

Over the next few days I will be writing some more about my time in Costa, so be sure to be checking in -- and if you havent already, check out my FACEBOOK photos! They are amazing.

Pura Vida, and a ton of love to my family in costa rica!


Ozzie and Pat, two phenomenal, quality people who changed my life.

1 comment:

  1. damn!! you can tell ozzie is from texas!! he can ride that bull better than his firewire!!

    ReplyDelete