not all who wander are lost.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mis Perros del Favorito

I love dogs. Love em, Love em, Love em.
In Costa Rica, I always find myself having a love affair with atleast one of them.
This time there were several, from all over.
Some had owners, some didn't.
Regardless, these are some of my favorite dogs:


RAMBO
Rambo lived at Callen's house in Dominical. He just showed up one day and wouldn't leave. He is a tick-infested dirtbag, but the super sweet and just wants to be loved. This is him showing up to give me some birthday love at my bday dinner.

Quad Dog
This dude has the ultimate setup...a quad (with bald tires), a guitar, a beach chair, a cooler, and a cool-ass dog. We passed him a few times riding around in Dominical, and this time snapped his photo. The dog just sits on his lap and smiles.

Paloma
Paloma is Legend Mike's dog. She was put in a burlap bag and then thrown into the river when she was just a baby. She was found by our friend Ben whom later gave her to Mike. She's not the brightest dog, but what she's lacking in brains she makes up for in love. She doesn't listen to any commands, but she knows who loves her and feeds her, and she will cuddle with anyone.


Newman
Newman is Adam's dog. Part golden, part chesapeake. He is smart as hell, I swear to god that he speaks english...because anything you say to him he listens and reacts to. He is only 4 but the most well-behaved dog that I have yet to encounter...and he does this funny ass jumping thing whenever Adam says "unicorn". There's also a story about peanut butter, but maybe that is best left untold....


Lika
This is lovely Lika. If you stay at Eleanor's Cabinas on Canada Hill in Esterillos (or if you're pat and live next door) then you get the joy of meeting Lika. Lika is Eleanors' Gardners' dog. The gardener isnt much of a social person, you can barely get him to say hello, but his dog is a bundle of love and energy...and she would come over to visit Shawn and I every day, knowing that she was going to get her belly rubbed.

Kissey
Kissey is one of Ozzie's dogs. She is an old German Shepard, who is as mellow as Oz. She spends her days resting on the hillside, overlooking the mountains...and occasionally playing with the cat, TroubleMaker. Sweet, sweet, sweet.

Jake
Jake is Brian's dog. Brian is the manager at Low-Tide-Lounge, and he is the King of Jake's world. Bri will tell Jake to stay...and if he left for a week, the dog would still be sitting in the same spot. He is super mellow, well-behaved, and smart. And he even lets you put ridiculous helmet's on his head when you're drunk. Good boy Jake!

Norma and Henry's Golden
I've known Henry and Norma for two years now, and I still don't know the name of their golden retriever. It's definitely something in spanish, but they always say it so damn fast that I miss it. But, their dog is funny - because it is the ONLY dog in Costa Rica that MUST be on a leash. Ha. She is a stubborn stubborn girl, and she loves to eat coconut husks. She believes that she is the Queen of the Castle. Ha.

HANK
Hank is Les's Doberman. Don't let this photo fool you - in the past month he has tripled in size. He is pretty damn cute, and rather well-behaved for a puppy...perhaps a big thanks to that for his 'dog daddy' Newman. Newman has been showin him the ropes around town, and Hank repays him by chewing on his ears.

Trouble-Maker
I know this is about dog's, and I really don't like cats, but Ozzie's cat Trouble Maker is pretty badass, and I don't think that he knows that he is a cat. I believe that Trouble Maker thinks that he is just like his family members (Kissey and Capitan)...a big, hairy shepard. Someone get this cat a mirror.

White Dog
This dog was really scared of people, so it took him until the end of the week to finally let me pet him. That's not unusual...it's really common for people to be unfriendly to dogs in Costa, throwing rocks at them and such. But once 'white dog' warmed up to me, I almost packed him up and brought him home with me. If I HAD a home I may have, but considering I split my time between Shawn's, my parents, and random couches -- I figured that maybe it would be better for him to stay on the Caribbean.

Sweetie

This little Caribbean lovebug was the highlight of my trip to the caribbean. She had some bad cuts around her neck, and she was always hungry, but he was happy all the time -- always bouncing through town. Our love affair began the day that I arrived in Cahuita, and lasted until the second I left. We would share corn-flakes in the morning, and she would have some of whatever I had for lunch and dinner. She would lay on the ground and watch me as I did yoga, and would follow me out when I went surfing (well, up until her chest, then she'd cry and turn back to the shore). I begged Shawn to let me take her home, and he agreed, but again -- living out of your car isn't conducive to being a dogowner.

Capitan
Capitan is Ozzie's 9 year old huskie-shepard mix. He has a ton of energy, is uberplayful, and has the most frightening bark you'll ever hear. He wants all of your love and attention, and he also enjoys to drink out of the birdbath. King of the Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment