not all who wander are lost.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Night 6 and Day 7


So after I planned my trip through Rome, Adam and his friend/roomate/bandmate Rory picked me up @ Julia's and we headed for ALKI BEACH. Adam, Rory, Carol and Kelly share a GORGEOUS apartment that overlooks alki's beautiful scenery (see photo above). It's the perfect spot in Seattle, in my opinion. You can throw a rock into Puget Sound from their porch, there is a bike path, walking path and beach to launch your kayak. It has the small town vibe, think Rhode Island beach town meets the North Shore. All the businesses are cute little bungalows that have been there for a looonnng time. ANyways...I will get back to those details after I give you all the exciting news about our evening.

There is never a dull moment with my friend Adam. Never. He is a crazy man. We all loaded into the truck and headed to the Red Line for some cheap beer, and some cheap cheap bar food (I'm talking $1 apps). After that we headed to a WELCOME SNOW party thrown by the snowboard company K2. It was here that I had too many locally-brewed beers and met my new great friends, Kristen and Tre'. Kristen is a petite, beautiful girl with a kind smile and tons of great travel stories. She is one of those people that you instantly meet and want to be best friends with. Tre' is a bearded man who's eyes laugh (yes, they laugh). The second you get within 10 feet of him, you feel comfortable -- like you grew up next door to him. I spent a couple hours throwing back beers and exchanging travel stories with my new friends. Later, we hopped in Tre's car and headed BACK to the Red Line for the {eccentric} open-mic night. Adam rocked out with a badass rendition of louis armstrongs "saint james infirmary" as well as some bad-ass originals. A few others graced the stage and then I trumped up there. I sang Phil Phillips "Sea of Love", Bonnie's "Angel from Montgomery" and my new song "Two Words" (all of which you can watch me perform @ www.youtube.com/cailincallahan ). We had a fantastic laugh filled, dance filled, beer filled, friend filled evening. We headed back to Adam's cozy abode and passed out. This morning I woke up early, way before the boys (surprise suprise), and decided to go exploring. The walk was just what I need. A slightly cool breeze, but the sun so warm that I could walk around without a jacket on. And because everyone in Seattle is so damn friendly, ever person that passed greeted me with a smile and a "hello". Everyone was out. Strolling Alki Beach. I stopped into the Alki Bakery for an americano. It was delicious, and of course the girl behind the counter was Seattle Friendly (that's my new word for super super duper friendly people). I felt so content walking along the sea wall on my way back to Adam's. I've been meeting some wonderful people and experiencing some amazing things in the north-west. I'm so thankful for all of the kind, eccentric, interesting, and passionate people that I've met -- it's definitely motivated me. Seattle is a city of art, music, food, brewed beers and local wine. Organic food and canvas bags. Kayaks, dogs, and being outside as if it weren't raining at all. I've made more friends - genuine friends - during my week here than I have in the past 10 years in New Jersey. This is when I curse surfing. Cause (as my friend Jeff Pace put it), "Surfing has ruined my life". Ha. I love surfing, I love love love love love it so much, and that's the problem. Cause if it weren't for surfing, then I could live in Seattle. Or Rome. Or London. Or Vermont. But I can't. Because there aren't waves. But, I guess it's just one of those sacrifices that I'll have to make in life. I will be sure to visit Seattle more often though. I feel at home.

Tonight I'm getting all gussied up and going to dinner by myself. It's my new favorite thing to do. Go places by myself. Eat by myself. Shop by myself. Explore by myself. You meet more people, absorb more of your surroundings, and just EXPERIENCE more. But tonight I won't be totally alone. I'm going to eat at Julia's restaurant, La Medusa for some gourmet Sicilian food. She won't be able to sit with me, but after dinner she'll be close to done and we can sip some vino.

ANyways -- I hope that everyone is experiencing something great or meeting someone new. The world that we live in is a big place.

Love cailin

No comments:

Post a Comment